Friday, May 05, 2006

Sparkling Wine Making: Rüttelpult

Here you see what we call "Rüttelpult" (jiggling board) in sparkling wine making. It's basically a board with holes where, in the process of the fermentationn in the bottles, the bottles full with the "raw wine" get stuck in upside down, so that the yeast starts to settle in the top parts of the bottles. Due to the yeast the wine starts developing the sparkling.

The jiggling part of it is, that the bottles get twisted a bit from time to time so that the yeast gets fully collected in the bottleneck. If you look close you can see a white line on the bottom of each bottle (it's a bit tricky since you also see the reflection of the light). The direction of the white line tells the wine maker which bottles have been twisted and when.

By the way, this is also the same process as for Champagne. The only difference is that only sparkling wine from the region Champagne in France is allowed to carry that name.

Tomorrow, I'll show you how the yeast comes out of the bottles without losing the sparkling...

12 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger Kris said...

interesting process ..so much of hard work goes into it :)

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Admin said...

Yup, I visited MUMM in Napa and they do sparkling wines too. There everything is automated, meaning that all isn't manual anymore...bottles got turned with precision at exact moment, thanks to computers :-) No need for human labors...no fun, isn't it?

 
At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice pattern from the bottles:-)

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger Marc said...

I've always wondered. Why do "sparkling wines" have a more "residual effect" than other wines?

Wonderful pics of the wine country.

Wine in Spring. Beer in Fall. Works for me. ;-)

 
At 4:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a homebrewer myself, I'm really enjoying the posts on wine. I can always read about alcohol!

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger siege2050 said...

Thats really interesting. I didn't know how the carbonation was created before. I knew about the yeast but i didnt know they turned the bottles upside down.

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger micki said...

This is such and interesting and informative post! I learned something new today, that's a great thing.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Sam said...

That is very cool - and it seems to take a long time - now I know why it's often very expensive!

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger heidi said...

This is interesting. I used to make wine a long time ago but champagne looks even trickier.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Thank you all for your comments!

maya - I guess it has the advantage that the vintner has more time for marketing and other sales related stuff.

marc - haha, I like your "residual effect". I think it has to do with the carbon dioxide. But that's just a guess.

g - Cool, what do you brew?

siege 2050 - that's just the technique to get the yeast out of the bottles eventually.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Kala said...

very interesting looking contraption - its amazing how the whole process evolved. I wonder who invented wine making - I suspect the initials are N.A.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Yep, I'm afraid the initials are N.A. (at least from my side). :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home