Friday, February 24, 2006

Altweiberfastnacht

Uff, this was tough work taking Carnival pictures for this blog last night... ;-). We basically "parked" ourselves in one of the bars and watched all the groups come in. This was my favorite group - they added the best atmosphere to the bar with their "show" - we danced, did polonaises through the bar, got lots of little chocolate pills (against all kinds of illnesses ;-D) and sang a lot of course.

What I like the most about Carnival is that young and old are celebrating and "going crazy" together which I think nowadays doesn't happen too often anymore.

4 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Blogger Admin said...

Yeah...a good shot :-) I can imagine more now how the carnival can get crazy. Seems like you had a great time last night. What do you mean "did the polonaises"? and what's in that 'chocolate pills' btw? :-P I can imagine youngs and olds are participating and enjoying this carnaval...

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Doing the polonaise means that people dance in some sort of a "line", meaning when you get into the line you'll put your hand onto the shoulders of the person in front of you and the person behind you does the same so everyone is "connected". Then the whole line starts walking forward and dancing to the rhythm of the music. This is actually captured in the upper little picture. I'm sure you've seen it somewhere!

I've also checked the word in the American Heritage Dictionary and here is their definition:
"A stately Polish dance in triple meter"

Hope this helps :-)

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Admin said...

Got it, Nicola..yeah, I know which one it is now...:-) seen it before and done it a few times (in the U.S. I think it's called the choo-choo train ;-P)

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Nicola said...

Hey Maya! Choo choo train is a funny word for it as well!

Hi Maunuel! I know. It happened faster than I thought :-). I'll have to get myself a small pocket photo camera so I can take it with me everywhere and take lots of photos to fill the two blogs from now on...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home