Thursday, February 23, 2006

Carnival or "Fastnacht"


Today starts the "high season" of the Carnival in Germany and of course we celebrate it in our region as well!!! Today is called "Altweiberfastnacht" where it's tradition that men in business suits get cut off their ties by women. So usually men wear their oldest ties that day to be on the save side.

This photo is actually taken from a poster announcing the "Schnorrer-Rallye" taking place in Oestrich which means: people dress up in teams (each team has its own theme) and then they walk from bar to bar performing a little "show" (like reciting carnival poems or singing songs or... doing things to make people laugh). At the end of the day the best team gets rewarded. We'll hopefully see them tonight (you never know how many teams are on the road and where they'll show up) so that I can show you some pictures tomorrow.

Btw, Carnival actually starts already in November (11.11.) at 11:11 am (which is supposedly the ultimate carnival time) and ends at Tuesday midnight before Ash Wednesday. So you're gonna see lots of carnival pictures over the next few days...

13 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Admin said...

Cool, that's interesting...teams with costumes performing while doing bar hoping :-D I wish I could see them myself...who is actually sponsoring this event? or the carnival events? the city? or the bars/restaurants around? Wish Antibes has such carnival...:-D

Yeah, show us the funny costumes...if you catch some.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Nicola said...

You're right, it's a lot of fun. Especially since one of the tasks of the masked people is to "steal" little bites and sips from peoples plates and glases while they perform. That's the reason why it's called SCHNORRER-Festival. ("Schnorrer" is a local word for exactly that behaviour).

The prices are sponsered by local businesses and the costumes are most of the time handmade by the people themselves. I'm curious myself to see what costumes they'll wear tonight...

Nicola

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Admin said...

I like the word SCHNORRER then...:-D

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Cynthia Quiros said...

Willkommen zu den daylies!!! Weiberfastnacht hab ich immer super gefunden :)

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Hey Cynthia!
Thanks for the warm welcome! Are you from Germany as well? Good luck in Buenos Aires!
Nicola

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Denton said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Denton said...

Welcome and best wishes on your daily photo blog. I love wine so I will be checking in regularly. Your link has been added to the DailyPhotoMap

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Rob said...

You are now linked to Stuttgart.

Rob

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Cynthia Quiros said...

hi Nicola!! No i´m currently living in argentina but i travel a lot... i´ve lived in Germany (deshalb das hmm nicht so gute deutsch)
thanxs for linking me up!!

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Welcome!! Happy to see new cities coming in! I'll drop by daily to check your photos :)

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger Lisi said...

Hi Nicola, Welcome to the daily photo family. I'll add your link soon. :-)

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Nicola said...

Hey there! Thank you all for welcoming me in the daily photo family!! I've added your dailies to my list as well.

Cynthia - your German is perfect that's why I thought you're actually German. Come back again and practice :-D.

Nicola

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger stéphanie et arnaud said...

I've jusr find your blog! Welcome nicola! I've just added your blog in my link!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home