Sunday, May 28, 2006

Photo Quiz No. 3

This is another photo taken by our friend Christian in a village called Hausen. It shows the work of an old profession that doesn't really exist like this anymore. Nowadays, it's more an attempt to keep up the tradition and show interested people how it works. Do you have an idea what it could be? A hint: The earth is just the cover, what's inside is important!

Prize: A postcard from the Rheingau - everyone who makes a guess can win. Tomorrow, I will write each name on a piece of paper and draw the winner.

Previous Photo Quizes: No. 1, No. 2

* + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + *

Update 29.5.: Wow, already the second comment (Sidney) got the right answer! This is what we call a "Meiler" (charcoal pile) - there's wood stapled in a certain manner and then it gets covered with earth so that no air can reach it. Only a small funnel is left open so that the wood can be set under fire. After 6-8 days the charcoal is ready.

From all your comments I draw a winner for the postcard .... Micki! Congratulations, Micki! Please email me your address so I can send you the postcard.

Thank you all for participating in my photo quiz!!!

13 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger Kris said...

excititing! my guess is traditional earth oven (???)

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Sidney said...

Wood to make charcoal.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Edwin Sumun said...

Is it an oven baking poultry? Or pottery perhaps?

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would that be a dome-shaped mud oven? I think it has its origin in Africa... Interesting to know that they're still in use today.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Carlos Lorenzo said...

yes it is an oven for sure but I can´t imagine what´s inside, potatoes perhaps?

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger siege2050 said...

I think Sidney is right. Charcoal.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Markus said...

My Guess its a primitive Kiln.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Admin said...

Yup..I'd say wood burnt slowly to make charcoal :-)

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger micki said...

I'm saying there's some sort of cooking going on...like a pig roast.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Ineke said...

I am tempted between an oven or simply a whole house. As everyone went for the oven, i'll go for the hut/house.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Felicia said...

Some others guessed this too - a pottery kiln?

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Kala said...

Hi Nicola - its nice to be back from my trip to see your always interesting posts - My first thought upon seeing this is that its an earth oven - something similar to what we have here called an imu.

=)

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

*************************************
Thank you all for participating in my photo quiz! I wrote all your names on pieces of paper and made a drawing and... the winner is: Micki! Congratulations!!

Micki - please send me an email with your address so I can send the postcard on its way. Thanks!
*************************************

 

Post a Comment

<< Home